Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Social Media and Lebron James

The use of social media has never been more apparent than in today's society. Almost everyone I know has a facebook site, a twitter account or blog. The notion of social media is one that is talked about reguarly and the phrase "social media" is one which is thrown around regularly, and I like to define it as social instrument of communication which is a two way street where people can produce and consume as much as they like.




What amazes me these days is the prominence of social media. I, like many others I know, reguarly are checking, updating and communicating via Facebook. It is such a significant apart of many lives, and I find myself often checking Facebook to gain insight on news and affairs within society. A recent example was when I was extremely interested in where National Basketball Association basketballer Lebron James was going to sign for the upcoming season. He was a free agent, and was holding a press conference to announce his decision. I was unable to view the press conference due to the fact that I was at work, and thus, instead of listening to the radio, or checking the NBA.com website or ESPN.com website, I chose to check Facebook to see where he decided to sign as I knew people would be making status updates about it.



Naturally, people had been talking about it on their Facebook pages and I was able to be informed that he had signed in Miami. To think of social media as an outlet for news and information a few years ago would have been unheard of, however now you are able to gather news and information through peer to peer networking.



The joys of Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Did those who updated their status get it from online news sources?

    I guess I'm asking - wouldn't have you found out more quickly by checking a US sports news site?

    Either way, you do make an interesting point. FB's often the first place I hear certain types of news. It isn't where I go to look for it, though. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do make a valid point, I easily could have checked a US sports news site, but I knew my friends would have already, and I guess I wanted to see what they were saying about it and their thoughts.

    I checked a US Sports Site after to confirm the news, however I wanted to see the opinions of people who I had discussed the issue with all week.

    I do not seek all my news from Facebook, in saying that though, like you, I go to it for some forms of information.

    ReplyDelete